MOT Fail! Need new ball joints....

Just MoT'd the toaster and it failed on the front ball joints being knackered (had a feeling they might be!). Need to get replacements, but my man gets a flat "Nissan only" reply from all his factors places.

Anyone know which ones they are? Part no etc? Are they the same as K12 Micra for example?

It's a 2005 Gen 2.

Help! :)

Comments

• I'm pretty sure it will be the same as one of the Renault Clio models too, but you'd need to take the plunge and put them next to a cube part to compare...

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Renault_Clio_1.4_2004/b/QH/p/Car-Parts/Suspension-and-Steering/suspension/suspension-arm-and-suspension-joints
  • Cheers gents. I've had a look on the Cube parts list on the sticky and compared to that of a Micra one I found online and I think I know the ones I need.

Worst case, I guess I could always take one off and play "guess what this is!" at my local motor factors. :)

Once sorted, I'll stick the part numbers on the relevant thread. Useful to know.
  • this always went on my clio my £70 was the cost back then
  • Looking at it, it seems the term 'ball joint' is a little misleading\out of date. Looks like it's all one part together called a 'tie rod'. Is this correct?

Now I've confused myself. :(
  • All sorted now. If you get the same issue as & lower front ball joints need doing, you'll need to replace the whole wishbone. I paid £30+vat each for mine. You can get aftermarket ball joints it seems, but they cost about the same as the whole Nissan whishbone including the ball joint, bushes etc.

Nissan part number should be 48520AX602/48640AX602 (R&L). Same as K12 2002-2007 Micra.

Home fix is one for the more advanced DIY'er apparently as one side is a bit of a sod due to a key bolt being obscured by the gearbox.
  • Well done for the info.. :D Thats cheap for a wishbone setup ? My wishbone setup for my old toyota van was £280.00 per side.. :( Cheers
  • I'll need to check the price with the old man to be sure, as he got them from a motor factors place where he knows the owner. So it [i]might[/i] have been trade or cost price plus the vat!

However, there were loads of aftermarket ones online for about 30-40 quid as well.
  • Hi,

I've just come across this post after posting myself. My 2004 cube failed its NCT (Irish equivalent of the MOT) the other day. The mechanic I took it to after says it needs a new inner tie rod on the passenger side. He reckons he's tried putting on a Micra K-11 and K-12 part but these don't fit. Can you tell me exactly what part it is I need/from what model and perhaps where I can source it from.

Any help greatly appreciated.
  • Haha. Hi Stanley, chucked a reply on your original thread mate. Not sure it'll help much though....
  • [blockquote]
    All sorted now. If you get the same issue as & lower front ball joints need doing, you'll need to replace the whole wishbone. I paid £30+vat each for mine. You can get aftermarket ball joints it seems, but they cost about the same as the whole Nissan whishbone including the ball joint, bushes etc.

Nissan part number should be 48520AX602/48640AX602 (R&L). Same as K12 2002-2007 Micra.

Home fix is one for the more advanced DIY'er apparently as one side is a bit of a sod due to a key bolt being obscured by the gearbox.
    [/blockquote]

I've got this problem now as my N/S wishbone has just snapped in two. I got a replacement one off a scrapper but the rubber boot around the ball joint is split, so I'll be wanting to replace it with a new one soonish. What's the Nissan/Renault part number for the N/S wishbone, please? Westover Nissan only tell me it's a special order from Japan with a 6 week lead time.

I just tried getting the remnants of the old wishbone off but that nut closest to the gearbox appears to have been done up to about a million ft/lbs. Any suggestions how to get it off? I tried penetrating oil and an impact socket and breaker bar on the bolt head underneath but it feels like the drive is just going to let go first.

Cheers!
  • Calamity, the wishbones are definitely the same as a K12 Micra and should be the part no's above.

Mine came from our local motor factors place and we just asked for the Micra bits, didn't even mention the Cube (mostly as I've learned that if you do, they just roll their eyes and tell you to go to Nissan direct). If the part no's are incorrect, let me know and I'll do some more sniffing about.
  • Thanks for that Tazbert. Admittedly I only Googled those numbers but it looks like they are the track rod ends?

From what I can tell, there are two different types of K12 Micra wishbone (or track control arm) and from eyeballing them the only obvious difference is the size of the peg on the top of the ball joint, which I think it 16mm for the Cube. Just wanted to confirm whether that's definitely the case before ordering one.

Cheers.
  • I just bought First Line part number FCA6324 from my local motor factors by matching up my scrap wishbone against the parts catalogue. It's meant for 2004 K12 Micra and 2006 E11 Nissan Note. It looks like it's a spot on match but will see how it goes fitting it later. I was charged £49 including VAT for the complete assembly by the way.
  • Cheers for the update calamity. Good luck with fitting.
  • Went on, but it was a real pain to do: Had to get a mobile mechanic out and it took about an hour and a half. A gearbox mount has to come off to allow the gearbox to be eased up enough to get the front bolt all the way out which in turn means the battery tray and the gearbox ECU has to come off first.

Just had the tracking checked and reset and it's all good now.
  • Can someone help me I have a cube that needs fixing but I’m not sure what parts fit and hope someone can help. It’s a Nissan Cube 1.6 ldn. I am completely stuck thanks in advance