Possible - soon to be New GEN 3 Cube owner

Hi,

I'm going to look at a 2010 Cube 1.6 Kaizen on sunday - I'm already sold in terms of looks and features - however have yet to see the cube in all its glory as a physical car yet - never seen one on the road where I live at all. My fiance isn't as sold on the car as I am - he has a few hold backs in terms of availability of parts (especially body panel parts and glass - as we are aware they have puled the cube from the uk market) and also servicing parts - he is quite handy in terms of servicing - he just wants to know that he can actually get the parts - relatively easy in order for him to look after the car. Also - anyone got any haggling tips - as I really wanna get a good bargin - seeing as though they are taking it off the UK market - and the current list price of the one i am going to see is £9989 - but ive seen another for £8790 - ands its another kiazen model - except its in black rather than white - and it also has a space invader graphic on it - which i rather like - and i am aware that the graphics are an added extra - so make it even more of a bargin at the current price (only problem is - its not quite as local as we like - its 30 miles away - which is a little bit of pain because we are currently carless as the insurance wrote our agila off - yes... i like boxy cars - was previously looking into getting a kia soul - but i think the interior and exterior quaity of build for the nissan is much better - from what i have heard and read obviously)

Advice and help would be greatly received. Thank you

Comments

• Go for it! 8)
    I had a gen2 before which i loved but got a gen3 as absolute bargain, a lot of car for the money in my opinion. Servicing wise it should be fine as its a jap car imported through nissan direct so full backup, most parts are quasquai/note anyway.

test drive it then walk away, let them ring you back few days later while you ponder, stall a bit more and see what you can get off, plus point is you dont have part ex so thats a grand off id say!

I went to luton from south wales (300 mile round trip!)for mine as wanted a CVT so 30 miles not too bad! :D
  • Lol - I know 30 miles is not exactly far - but with not having a car its very annoying - also.... if anything was to go belly up i'd have to travel miles for them to sort it under warranty at the same garage (although.... can i just take it to any nissan dealership for warranty fixes - regardless of where purchased - im unsure).

Thanks for the advice - think i will play hard to get - its a good bargain to start with - but every penny counts and all - and i know from this forum that they are absolutely desperate to get rid of them. If they are a bittle backwards with coming forwards with a bargain offer - gonna try and get them to add some extras in - like the furry mat (just beacause), rugs and a few other accessories - :D

I'm unsure on colour - love the white - it will be a bugger to clean - but easier to maintain in terms of scratches. Whilst I like the black - - but it will get scratched easiy (im quite neurotic when it comes to keeping my cars in pristine condition - HATE scratches - they drive me insane)

Definatly going to go for the Kaizen model anyway - much better spec.

Just gonna wait and see how it drives and see all the research and thinking about the car comes true :D

Thanks for your help x
  • No drama, good luck with the haggle! 8)
    Nissan local garage will do any work if needed, you will prob have two years warranty left like me so you will have to keep it serviced with nissan to keep service history up to date to get top dollar when you sell on.
  • "..however have yet to see the cube in all its glory as a physical car yet - never seen one on the road where I live at all."
    It's much better looking in real life and has much more presence than the photos would suggest. You won't be disappointed!
    "My fiance isn't as sold on the car as I am - he has a few hold backs in terms of availability of parts (especially body panel parts and glass - as we are aware they have puled the cube from the uk market) and also servicing parts - he is quite handy in terms of servicing - he just wants to know that he can actually get the parts - relatively easy in order for him to look after the car."
    As this is a UK market car this is not something you're going to need to worry too much about. Even if they do discontinue it they still have an obligation to stock parts for (at least 10 years I think) as well as servicing it etc. As someone who has owned a Japanese Import Generation 2 Cube for almost 3 years, I could only wish for that :) (Mine is a special edition version too, with only approx 5 in the UK). Also, in all the time I've had mine (basically from brand new) I've had no trouble with it all except for one incident where the alternator went and the battery too.
    "Also - anyone got any haggling tips - as I really wanna get a good bargin - seeing as though they are taking it off the UK market - and the current list price of the one i am going to see is £9989 - but ive seen another for £8790 - ands its another kiazen model - except its in black rather than white - and it also has a space invader graphic on it - which i rather like - and i am aware that the graphics are an added extra - so make it even more of a bargin at the current price"
    Either way, you're getting hell of a bargain :)
    "was previously looking into getting a kia soul - but i think the interior and exterior quaity of build for the nissan is much better - from what i have heard and read obviously)"
    I went to look at one of these too for my Wife, the build quality on them is terrible, really unimpressed.

Looking forward to welcoming you to the club :)
  • Make sure you have a good long ride in one. Mine is fine for short journeys but is giving me back ache on longer runs.
    I'll give it til March, and if I've not got it comfy, I'll sell it and buy something boring but comfy from Ford or Vauxhall.

The Cube is bigger (wider and longer) than an Agila of course, slightly harder to park, more expensive on insurance/road tax/petrol than an Agila, but the Cube has so much more style and gets more attention!

Sometimes you need to be a bit thick-skinned to drive one - we've had 2 road rage incidents where other drivers seemed to be offended by the look of the car (!). [i]Maybe we just have some weirdos around Lincolnshire.[/i]

Now prices have come down a lot, it seems to provide a lot of car for the money. :)
  • Hi Basil,

Why do you think it is giving you back ache...?

Regarding the expense comparison - I have found the insurance to be cheaper for me - although the petrol and tax is slightly more than I was hoping to have to pay.

The major worry for us is the body panels - being able to get replacements/adequate repairs and also the windows - im aware that some people have found it easier to get windscreens than others - but its the back sweeping windscreen that is a concern too - obviously it is not has prone to chip damage as the front windscreen but its not impossible for them to get smashed or damaged in some way.

I'm not too fussed on loosing money on the resale value as I hope to keep the car for a long long time
    Wish me luck on the test drive tomorrow - trying to get all the courage up to be cheeky and get an even better deal!
  • Yes, good luck for tomorrow.

The ride is a bit soft and springy and bouncy - it soaks up the bumps well and feels a bit like an old French car in its suspension, however the seat itself is quite flat both on the seat and up the back - I'm guessing its this lack of support which is a problem for me.
    It felt fine on a 10 mile or so test drive, but not good for me on long journeys.

Otherwise, it seems to ba a good car, not especially economical or enivronmentally-friendly, but seems well put together. Even my base model Cube has features which arent found on similarly-priced Ford and Vauxhall cars.

:-)
  • Hi Folks - got my new Gen 3 Cube - Kaizen - got loads of extras too - the illuminated sill strips - mats, graphics - loved the test run - done all the clearing on the finance now - just got to wait until its been serviced and i will have it probably by the end of next week - so excited - and nervous about getting such a big car in my drive!!! Also - just wondered if anyone knew about the side mirror chrome cover cap things - mine has them off - and the car salesman was really offended when i said i didnt like them - do you know if you can get them off - if the original white ones will be underneath or not?
  • As far as im aware they clip on over the originals, hopefully not too hard a task and they should pop off! They look fairly flimsy (when i saw them on a kaizen down nuport!)so good luck and happy cubing!! 8)
  • Thanks for that - I'll try and see if i can get them off when i get it home - gonna flog them off on ebay or something - i want a little fluffy/shaggy dash mat....
  • Oh good, I'm pleased you bought one.

I saw a 60 reg Cube Kaizen advertised today, 9 miles on the clock
    for £8995 and I thought of you.

How sad, I must get out more. :|

[img]http://i52.tinypic.com/ziufl1.jpg[/img]

Hope you enjoy it when it arrives.

I'm no convinced about the fluffy mat - I made one out of a self adhesive carpet square,
    Jess the Cat sits on it now. 8O

[attachment=12028,172]
  • Man you guys have sunroofs availible???
  • All the UK Cubes have sunroofs! But we never got the Krom (aka Rider). :(
  • Sunroof in mine! I thought it was only the Kaizens that had it until i bought it! Dash mat £18 from nissan garage, put your haggle hat on, £35 on ebay????? 8)
  • Sunroof come as standard here, but we only get a 1.6 engine.
    You got a Krom edition (very nice) we got an LDN limited edition (which was not very exciting)
    You get a more potent 1.8 engine in the USA and you get a better colour selection!

Most Cubes in the Uk are either just the base model or the better spec'd KAIZEN model.
    The differences between the 2 are shown below.

I notice that lisa_james and Eurobob and ChewBakker have all gone for the Kaizen. I just have the base model :D

[attachment=12061,176]
  • I happen to like the LDN and find it very exciting! There were only 100 LDN`s imported by nissan as far as im aware, :D It has climate control, leather steering wheel (LDN version only i believe), choccy coloured velour seats (very retro if you like that sort of thing), cream dash and mines the CVT version which was £1200 more than standard LDN (took a lot of researching!), bluetooth phone, cruise control and speed limiter, only things not on it are the sat nav and the reversing camera (Kaizen only). Im hoping that someone else will get a LDN or is just me who thinks brown velour is due a comeback? 8)
    Only downside is the missing bench seat, i still prefer the column change and miss it! :(
  • OOOoops Basil put his foxy little foot in it. :)

I thought you'd got a Kaizen - so the brown velour is only on LDN - I didnt know that.

[i]Basil runs off and hides down a fox hole quickly[/i]
  • No worries Basil, be boring if we all liked the same thing 8)
    We still need to do the Vin plate thing to find out what numbers we all are?
  • The Cube I was told was a CUBE LDN may well have been a CUBE Kaizen.
    it was one of the first Cubes I looked at, but
    the dealer still has it for sale, [b]but has changed his advert and is now calling it a Kaizen[/b] :?

....maybe he didnt know the difference either.
    As for comparing VINs/chassis numbers, I like to think that mine is one of the more recently-made ones :lol:
    with a chassis number just over 3600

Should there be a month of manufacture on any of the components in a Nissan car? I cant find anything.
  • I forgot that the Kaizen also has the footwell mood lighting and illuminated scuff guards on the sills! 8)
    Scufffing mine (only plastic) with me boots allready! Will have a look at vin tomorrow when i wash it before going on nights/fit me chevrons etc.

Sorry we have hijacked your thread Lisa!! :oops:
    Will have to chat to Monster Monster to get spanked and then set up our cube info seperate (as we were supposed too, e.g Bitter Choc 2010 LDN CVT Cube).
  • Lisa:
    I moaned about getting back-ache from my Cube last week.
    I've tried a wooden-beaded back-support from Halfords(a bit too hard) and am now trying a similar but softer plastic/foam back-support up the back of the seat and I find it makes things a lot more comfortable for me.
    [b]I think that means I'll be keeping my Cube for a few months at least.[/b] :lol:

Let us know when you get your Cube and I will keep an eye out for you. I've been along the A1 A46 and A52 in Nottinghamshire this week and have never seen another new Cube on the road. I saw one this morning in Lincolnshire, but they do seem to be quite rare in the East Midlands at the moment which is good. 8)

I hope you get yours soon lisa_james :D
  • I bought a brand new cube last Sunday (special edition QUIRKY LDN in bitter chocolate colour) and I love it. As for haggling, if you do your research you should have no bother negotiating a great deal as they are no longer importing them into UK, ergo showrooms need to get rid of them and create space (especially if buying new). I drove about 350 miles to secure a deal on my car- 15 miles on clock, not yet registered -Nissan on the road RRP £14,600. This had been reduced down to £10,995 and again to £10,500 so with cash in my pocket and no trade in I felt in a strong position to haggle. Eventually got my car for £9,800 so it was worth the drive to do the deal. Good luck and enjoy- they are a really great car.
  • Congratulations! You got a bargain there. I love the interior (and paint) on the LDN's. Eurobob on here has one too.
  • Tidy! Another Bitter Choccy Man! I thought i was the only one brave enough! good haggle skills, £195 cheaper than mine, allthouggh i did have the gen2 to trade in. 8)
  • Autocar tested the Cube LDN last month, gave it a respectable 3 stars but said it was £14600 to buy

If they'd realised you could buy a new Cube at over 30% less than that,
    I reckon they'd have given it even more praise and a higher star rating.

[url]http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/RoadTestsVerdict/Nissan-Cube-1.6-LDN/246607/[/url]

Beige and brown velour interior of an LDN :D
    [img]http://cdn.media.autocar.co.uk//Car/Nissan/Cube/171299114247732356x236.jpg[/img]
  • Hi Guys,

New to the site. Great to see so many ppl.

I am looking into the 3rd Gen cube but what is holding me back is the lack of accessories available in the uk.

If I was to buy the UK version first thing I would change is the "Grill". Here is a good example of what I would like my cube to look like:

http://www.japanesesportcars.com/wpg2?g2_itemId=552075

To start, the UK grille is horrible!

Any advice on modifications?

Thx

Colin
  • that will be the Krom in your pic, USA only option im afraid, although you may be able to import spares but prob stupid money! You can get aftermarket grilles, again USA but by the time youve paid import tax and postage its over 150 notes! Prob bext if you mod your own, im sketching a few ideas out and got some chrome inserts to play with, top secret at the mo! Nissan UK do a chrome grille but again silly money!
    Couple of the guys on here have smoothed over or made up a custom grille, depends how brave you are! 8)
  • >Secondly, downproofness can be another point for anyone to compensate sufficiently focus canada goose takki for those resources on the down fleece. Once we reached all the facility, the surgeon hasn't been around and then we canada goose jakker was required to procrastinate external. Because of that, since the typical stage productions for those buyers, a lot of the brands own dedicated numerous labours and money to help looking for the fashion styles for the downwards fleece realize it's a huge. And then the fat involving seed covering clothing from a down parka may have an effect on how much the general body weight of a off coat, in addition to slender and even expedition parka comfortable shell products will always make the garments relaxing for donning. Consequently, laundering downwards jerkin would seem to be without difficulty for normal everyday life, it also canada goose expedition parka is really difficult for folks to rinse them realistically. Featuring its built-in heating and cooling, the following packed light in weight clothes provides critical most women with trendy jackets which is created for canada goose numerous season's plus various conditions. It will eventually stop you canada goose trillium parka pleasant around cold as opposed to heavier-weight cloths. The actual sophisticated felted textile is ideal for stylish canada goose parka winter months clothes, originate overcoats or simply drop vests. Furthermore, it is working rather effectively regarding adding.<
  • Hi,
    Anyone know of a Z12 in Pearl white/ Brown velour LDN without any mods?<without Chrome Mirror Caps etc) would love a CVT and low miles if poss?

Cheers

Richard