New member/Z11 owner here!
  • Hi all,

Thought I'd introduce myself as I'm new on here. My name is Paul and I have just bought my first cube and love it. I knew there would be a few niggles as I did get it for really cheap. I'll whiz through them to give you an idea about what I discovered. Feel free to advise me on anything as I'd much appreciate it. 

First thing was first, I have booked in for a full service as it's not long landed in the UK. 
    Then I knew it'd need paint and I wasn't wrong... 3 scuffs on bumpers, but then I noticed chips on the roof. There are quite a few so that'll need attending to. It's booked in for the paint so I'll see how that goes. 
    I undersealed the underside at the back as it was looking quite bare, so I'm happy with that now, but overall it looks really good underneath and the engine bay doesn't look far off new!
    I swore a lot when I took the spare out of the boot as there was water in there. It seemed to be coming from the boot seal near the hinge. But when I pushed the seal, it popped back on slightly, so fingers crossed that has cured it but will keep my eye on it! :-s 
    The only other niggle is I am keen to change the headrests as the bars look a bit second hand - are they cross compatible from K12 Micra?!?

All in I've factored in things like this into the cost so I'm still happy all in. 

Thanks for reading and I'll look forward to some chatting!

Paul
  • Hi Paul, congrats on the car. Not sure about the head rests, but I too have the boot leak issue. I find the door doesn't close tightly at the top on the latching side on mine. Yet to sort it properly as when I adjusted it the door just flexes! Great fun cars though, easy to work on and sensible for parts.
  • Cheers. Well we've just bought a 99 Micra as a run around so will check headrest stiff in a bit. Fingers crossed the boot is still dry, but waiting for another seal I ordered, as the existing one has an unrelated crack. Hope you solve yours! Anyone else in West Mids? It's in the paint shop at the moment t for a couple of bits but am hoping this Cube thing isn't addictive. Just got a run of Audi Aluminium Silver to blow over one of the wheel trims. Is anyone else nervous about undersealing? I've bought a tin of hammerite pebbledash paint to be safe!

Thanks!

Paul
  • A full underseal and voids is a must if it's a new import. I had a 95 eunos that was like it had rolled out the factory but the trouble is as in a lot of japan they don't grit their roads they don't corrosion protect and so they rust to dust the second they get near the slap dash gritting of a UK winter!

Look for someone locally that can do you a full waxoil treatment including the voids in the rails and the like and it will serve you for many years.

Headrests I'm not sure about and don't get to hung up about paint as being slabs they attract stone chips like nothing else and is the reason a lot us have wrapped bonnets or bras on the front.
  • Thanks for the advice. The paint shop practically told me not to get the roof repainted. The garage who serviced it today commented on the condition underneath. The only thing they were not sure about was the oil change for the gearbox. Is there a special procedure, e.g. a certain gear to drain it in etc, or is it simple? Yes the chips are a nightmare, will keep my eye on the paint, looks smart though at the moment! :-)
  • Welcome OxoCube! Will we get to see some pictures soon? :D
  • Oil Change the gearbox is simple however their are two types of how each take different oils
  • How much difference does it really make using different auto gearbox oils? I've had a few auto boxes over the years and I've always used decent quality oil, but not normally OEM stuff. I've never had any problems at all. I used some Castrol stuff to do a partial flush of my Cube's gearbox a few months ago, and the shifts are much smoother now. Essentially, is it not more important to have fresh fluid than "correct" fluid?
  • well see that there are different oil  types .why would oil company bother with refining oil to meet  friction /visco/cvt/ dsg/auto/ /corrosive property
  • I can imagine that the demands on oil of traditional auto versus CVT and DSG boxes for example will be quite different. But for "most" auto gearboxes I can't imagine there being that much difference - different metals in the unit maybe? I think a lot of gearboxes will have a combination of materials inside them though.

Obviously higher load/performance cars will have higher requirements of their oil in terms of film strength and temperature stability etc, but my argument is that the fairly nice Castrol stuff I have always used I would expect to be good enough for most applications. Was only a thought!
  • Good thought but a risky chance been there seen t shirt as I had a warranty problem on my cvt they claimed it had the wrong oil in it . What a fight but won it and got shot of Honda. Since then I do my own and make Sure of correct oil as some dextron oils don't have anti corrosive property and can rot out the band's / clutches any way everyone has a story to tell and believe me so do I ..each May not be right . just oil is cheaper than metal .
  • If you value the money you spent on your cube don't use the wrong oil in the gear box also if you have a CVT don't stray from Nissans gearbox oil for it. We don't know why it's so special or expensive but trust us that we have seen enough failures from the wrong stuff being used to know that with the gen 2 CVT you don't take chances on it! There is a guide for changing the CVT gearbox oil on here as well as the clubs website. For the regular auto box that is fairly generic in the way most other auro's are and the same as the K12 micra auto box.