Tried to use LED tail light bulbs, now no tail lights!
  • Hi guys,

I had a blown reverse bulb on my gen 2, so I replaced the stop/tail, indicator, reverse/fog lights with LEDs. The indicators flashed quickly (as expected), but I noticed my brake lights stopped working. Now after removing the stop/tail LEDs for incandescent bulbs, I have no stop/tail at all! I can't see how I've done this - have I blown fuses? I can't seem to find stop/tail and brake fuses either...
  • I guess you lone were the stop fuse is it may pair up with another fuse named as some other .please check all fuses in the white box under bonnet
  • Well that was simpler than I expected - blown fuses for left and rear tail lights, plus brake lights. Strange it took out the circuits, and that I lost all sidelights, but some new fuses and I'm back in action, albeit without LEDs! May try again another time now I have spare fuses...
  • Turns out one of the LED bulbs I had was internally shorting. I obviously managed to swap the bulb from one side to the other while troubleshooting and blew both fuses. Oops.

Does anyone know if an "LED compatible relay" can be put in for indicators? I hate the big, hot load resistor plan for retro-fitting LEDs without the fast flash, there must be a better way!
  • Ok question! I got bored the other night and ordered an LED relay. Where is the flasher relay located on a gen 2? I hoped it would be easy to find in the column, but it wasn't...
  • This may be a problem as a lot of cars run a flasher timer and a normal relay however I look in to this Romo on my gen two
  • Yes I believe the LED relays have much lower current throughput - mine is a 30W unit. Considering it has 6x bulbs to light, that isn't much, but then 5W power per LED bulb is quite a lot still. So the rule is, change all your bulbs to LED and then fit the relay I guess!

But where does the relay live?! I had a good look under the dash again last night and no luck :-(
  • well mate I believe that the flashing is controlled by the dash control unit which is in side the dial cluster and the body control unit and also the idpm and I believe its is all solid state have a look at pic in this post on the main site HOPE I AM WRONG
    2017-05-23.png
    1366 x 768 - 143K
  • I fear you may well be correct. I had a look at this myself and couldn't believe there wouldn't be a relay somewhere. All the wiring diagrams seem to show it coming straight from the BCM to the indicators themselves, no relay in the way. I may have to put a big, hot relay in the way somewhere if I want to "go LED" after all :-( Thanks so much for your help, as always, you are a hero!
  • A box of tricks GEN2 thanks