Replacement Exhaust
  • Hi everyone!
    I'm new here so apologies if this question has been dealt with before.
    I own a 2010 Kaizen (official import) and it needs a new back box and centre pipe. Nissan have quoted £460 for the parts alone! Which seems expensive. I have a very trusted mechanic who will carry out the work but does anyone have any advice on getting the parts a bit cheaper?
    Cheers, Ratters
  • Hi and welcome I don't but others may know of options
  • £460 is cheaper than i was quoted last year.
    go the stainless steel route like i did &get one made, mine cost £300.00 for cat back system.
    good luck.

• £460 for the back box and a whole system for nearly £1k is the usual, as above almost everyone goes stainless cat back for around £300 which is a fit and forget with a lifetimes warranty.
  • There appears to be a known issue with corrosion where the backbox mates with the centre pipe. On my 2010 Kaizen the body of the backbox itself was totally sound, but was corroded af near the joint flange. After being quoted about £750 for a new xaust (!!) my friendly local independent cut the flange ends off both the backbox and centre pipe, sleeved the cut ends with a slightly oversize bit of offcut tube he had handy, and welded it up.  Total cost in parts = zero.  Seems like that particular bit of the system is a moisture trap for cars that do short runs, not getting up to temp enough to dry out, then sit around rusting from the inside out between runs.  Typical of many mobility vehicles.
  • mine was welded (not very well) at that flange.
    my theory is threads were stripped at some time as thread size seems to be the dreaded metric fine !
    don,t think quality of metals very good with oe system that,s why i went for s/steel.
    if your keeping the car go for s/steel and you can forget about it.

• Try to go to some local exhaust shops. They might have a cheaper solution for your needs.
  • not really cost effective to repair o/e exhaust,mine was& didn,t last(previous owner)
    oe system not very good quality.
  • Got to say, I agree with icecube1 and Terry, I paid £250 for a new back box fitted in December, car just started sounding like a dry fart the other day again, had a look under to find centre pipe flange has gone now, quoted £210 for new fitted. Enough is enough, getting quote for a stainless cat back system tomorrow from Exhaust Mania up here in Durham. If anyone is reading this having just bought a cube, I strongly recommend this being your priority job, otherwise, get used to pulling out a few hundred quid every couple of years.
  • your right !
    the exhaust place who fitted my ss/ system showed me the internals of my old system,
    everything inside was seriously corroded including the pipes & both boxes were half full of rust.
    so even if it looks good from the outside if its o/e & over 3 or 4 years old its probably going to cause probs
    as that seems to be the lifespan of most o/e mild steel systems these days.
    given the age of the newest z12 the exhaust will be on its last legs.