Suspension & Over heating
  • Hello, been a while since i've been on here.

Two things:-

(1) My 03 Cubic is overheating, the garage I use has struggled to nail down quite why it is. Are there any common factors that cause over heating in the Mighty Cubes

(2) I would like to lower the Cubic, money is tight so i'm looking for a cost effective solution. Can anyone recommend a budget solution? I'll have 15" wheels

Thanks!
  • I should add regarding the over-heating, the fan kicks in but doesn't solve the over-heating
  • Stuck stat . Rad blocked .water pump impeller rusted off rare .
  • Cheers Toaster

Are stats fixable, or do I need a new one (and if I do, where would be the best place to get one?)

Thanks again
  • Hi has just change it their cheap and easy to get .micra 1.4 cr14de engine code simple things first
  • Cheers Toaster

Bad news I hear, they changed the thermostat....

Its going back in next week, but any pointers for the chaps will save them time, and help save me some money!
  • The rad might be blocked .
    The other thing may be head gasket however a garage should be able to test for hydrocarbon in the water.
    You say it's over heating I guess the red light comes on .?
    But the fan dose not cool it down .?
    Dose it stay cool whendrivving ?
    Can you run the car from cold with rad cap off brim fill it and just watch and see if you see any bubbles till she gets warm
  • Thanks again Toaster

The rad might be blocked. Its not been ruled out, in fact I would say its likely
    The other thing may be head gasket however a garage should be able to test for hydrocarbon in the water. 
    You say it's over heating I guess the red light comes on .? Yes light comes on
    But the fan dose not cool it down .? Not enough, I need to put the heating on full for the light to go out
    Dose it stay cool whendrivving ? Nope, thought the air passing over the engine would help, but it has zero effect
    Can you run the car from cold with rad cap off brim fill it and just watch and see if you see any bubbles till she gets warm. Good shout, will suggest that. What would that indicate?
  • I would definitely try last thing as that will point towards head gasket and a hydrocarbon test which would back up any compression leaks
  • I've been having a nightmare finding out why ours is over heating.
    Some garages wouldn't even look at it "take it to Nissan".
    Another just wanted to try parts (Water pump = £100).

If you want to check for a head gasket, you can buy a cheap kit from Ebay for £8.
    I had to shave the cork bung down to fit my rad but It told me my HG had gone within 30 seconds.

• That's sort of good news now you just need to measure the wear in the timing chain as now would be the time to change chain and sprockets.
  • Sorry. Don't want to highjack the thread.

I'm trying to tell myself that toaster.
    Fact is, it is what it is and it needs fixing.
    I have a strong suspicion I was sold a plum. :(

At least I know(ish) what it is now and the £8 for the sniff test has saved the garage throwing more parts at it.
    Just need a decent garage to fix it now.

BTW. Thanks for the nod on the chain.