Planning to buy a CUBIC - CVT advice please?
  • I am seriously looking for Gen 2 Cubic and have found one I like. I had read that it is best to avoid the CVT gearbox which I understood to be the paddle shift buttons on the gearbox. But I now see on WikiPedia (I know!) that the Cubics all have CVT?? Is this true. Am I wrong in thinking no steering wheel buttons means no CVT?
    The one I am looking at is a fresh import from Japan with about 70K mileage. 2005.
    Please advise.
    Also,  are all cubics in metallic paint? Thanks so much.
  • Hi.

Can't give you advice on all Cubics, but the Cubic I bought a few weeks ago has CVT and doesn't have paddle shifters. Also it's paint is flat black, not metallic.

Hope that helps!
  • Thanks for that Snailherder, helpful. Am I daft to worry about CVT??
  • Well personally I'm not the worrying kind :D

I did some reading around CVT before I bought my Cubic. Some folks had similar concerns to you, responses generally seemed to be that there was nothing much to worry about. But I must say this isn't based on any actual knowledge, just collected internet opinion.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable on this forum will come back with some better info for you...
  • Think I answered your CVT post so won't cover old ground here. The age of a cube also impacts as there was a gen 2.5 cube which is any with the 1.5l engine and they all appear after a certain date (I really should revise this being an admin!) but I believe all 1.5's have a CVT I( would guess that being larger with a likely bigger payload all Cube3 have the larger 1.5 engine and thus again are all CVT's.

It's not sopmething to be overly concerned about and to add to my other reply there is a company that completely rebuild and refurb the CVT boxes for about £1000 which is pretty much what a second hand replacement refitted would be anyway at a guess.
  • Thanks so much for your advice and so sorry for delay, have been working away from signal for a few days.
    Very helpful thank you