Picked up a cube - however it seems low on power / high on revs?
  • Hey all,

just picked up a 2007 gen 2 today with 60k miles on the clock. I've fancied the look of them for a while, and finally took the plunge.

Although she runs fine with seemingly great power in town, on the way home on the motorway I noticed:

- getting to speeds over 70 seems somewhat of a struggle (perfect for keeping to the speed limit I hear you cry :) )
    - sitting at 70 requires 3900-4000 rpm, which seems pretty high to me
    - turning off O/D (light ON) will clearly then skyrocket the revs even higher (6000 rpm or so) as the car changes down a gear. On or off though, the car won't 'settle' at 70mph doing reasonable revs (I would have guessed it should only required 2500-3000 rpm)

Car is a 1.4 Auto.

Do you guys have any ideas? Not sure when the car was last serviced. Engine bay LOOKS ok but I'll take it to a Nissan dealer soon anyway. Just wondered if this rings any bells with you guys.

Thanks in advance
    David 
  • Don't forget its only a 1.4 and it has all the aerodynamics of a brick wall,its basically a town car
  • Yes that makes sense, so I've not been expecting any miracles
  • I test drove a 1.4 and got it on the duel carriageway and had exactly the same experience as you.  As I do occasional long journeys with a bit of a load on board I went for the 1.6 Kaizen instead.  I didn't fancy the hills of the A road I use regularly without a bit of power to get around the HGVs!
  • Hi I done over 200000 th in my little toaster @ 70 /2900 no problem .that's in 5 gear total lock out .to me sound like you're missing 4&5 ..However you say overdrive is changing .have a count up how I test is like this
    Manual y select 1 with od light On drive off normally
    Then move stick too second light on
    Then move to d light still on so now you should be in third now holding revs at 2500 put od light out .Now Watch rev counter it should drop revs in two drops 1 for 4 gear & a small drop of about 500 ram .Their are other ways to test .This my help you I guess
  • Just spotted this - thanks - will test!