Wanting to take the plunge and join the Cube family :)
  • Hi Everyone,

Thanks for accepting me onto your forum. My wife presently has a Wagon R (i know, i know!) but has expressed a lot of interest in a Cube. She only does short runs to work and the school pickups etc, no motorway journeys or long trips expected. We both love the style of the car and I want to surprise her with one. 

I have looked on ebay and it seems a minefield of sellers with 0 feedback and I hear stories of engine/mechanical issues from friends. So I thought it would be wise to join here for recommendations and advice before purchasing (just bought another car myself on my own and it was a stinker, so I dont trust my judgement!)

Where would you recommend finding one? Are there import companies you can speak directly to? I have never seen one for sale locally (Bournemouth). And are there any models, years, mileage readings I should avoid.

Thank you in advance to anyone who is able to assist in my quest

(if this is the wrong category, apologies)
  • Hi enjoy I had my one now five years and done over 150000 miles on long trips in UK .been a good car and van .large in side I move larder fridges.snd got two ovens in boot no real problem the pre 05 had timing chain issue a lot have been done a lot of runny gear on gen 2 are micra k12
  • hi toaster, thanks for your reply. so if we avoid the pre-05 models we should be moving in the right direction?

is there a trusted importer/dealer for the cube? i am really struggling to locate one that isnt an ebay dealer, usually with 0 feedback, which worries me. i have never seen one come up for sale locally to me. 

thanks again in advance
  • On here there's a guy called cid he'll help u in the path just have to look for a post by the man
  • Look back to post sva/ iva July 2014 about page 14 midell page find cid and private message him hope this helps.
  • cheers toaster, ill give that a whirl
  • so CID (car imports direct) are bristol based importers of cubes and often have cubes in stock. We also have Dan Bell on the facebook group who is in the Thames estuary who also stocks cars but works with another of our members who lives in Japan and has an export business and between them they can source you a fresh import to your specification. All the cubes are fairly solid reliable cars. The older ones can eventually require the timing chain replacing which is an expensive job however you can often pick up a cheaper low mileage replacement engine that is as cheap to swap in as doing the belt replacement. beyond that check the doors all lock on the central locking as these can start to fail after a while (it's a renault part!) and check for water in the boot, there are some drains behind the bumper that can block and make it wet there. easy to fix but if damage has been done thats another issue. 

I don't know anyone who has regretted buying one put it that way!