Annoying Knock NSF Suspension
  • Good Morning all

My Cube has developed a knocking noise when travelling over bumps in the road. I have replaced the NSF anti roll bar drop link as this seemed quite worn but noise still there. I am sure that I have read maybe on here that the Strut top suspension mounting have been known to cause bother and was wondering if this is more likey to be the culprit ?

How difficult is the job to complete and is the part easy enough to get ?

Many thanks
  • If the knock is near side front, check the offside front drop link. I had a similar issue and turned out that the drop link on the opposite side to the noise had come loose. Strut top nuts tend to rust but not aware of them starting to knock or bang.
  • Hi Terry
    Thanks for the reply. I have already checked over the OSF and all ball joints etc are ok so I can pretty much rule that out.

I am now recalling the car started off with a slight thuding noise whilst turning the steering before the knocking noise developed to its current state. This is why I am more convinced it could be the top strut bearing mount. As I say was just curious to see if these parts have been known to fail ?
  • Are all the bushes ok in the wishbones? These do fail quite easily on shitty roads. Stripping the front leg off to inspect strut tops isn't to big a deal if your mechanically minded.
  • Can't access ebay at work but if it's a triangular ish bit of black rubber then it's probably right. Like I say there isn't a lot that can fail with the strut top mount as beyond it being obviously torn. I'd look around the rest of the suspension system and see if you can't find play there. 
  • Thanks for that info guys. Is it possible to replace the bushes and  bottom ball joint on its own or does the whole wishbone need replace as one unit ?
  • This is what was advertised on Ebay uk
    $_35.JPG
    300 x 200 - 10K
  • Bushes alone can be changed but need pressing out and in with a press.
  • There is a method ive seen edd china use with a piece of stud ,nuts,washers and sockets
  • Yes if you are mechanical it can be done with some all thread, nuts, sockets and bit of tubing. 
  • Hi mate probably a bit late now as I have t been on for a while but the anti roll bar d bushes wear and can cause knocking so check these and it's only the rear bush on the lower arm that splits I have two lower arms if ur interested and 2 d bushes let us know good luck
  • That bit you found sits in the top of the strut and locates the spring in the strut. you should have those both sides and if it's missing then you are likely to be getting a knocking from the spring hitting metal. the part that is where you get rusting issues is this one which is the strut top mount that fixes the strut to the car. I've not heard of these failing just that as they are a little dish water collects in them and then the strut top nut rusts.

strut mount.jpg
    648 x 375 - 36K
  • Thanks for all the comments. I think the knocking may now be from the NSF shock absorber. Where will I be able to buy those from ?
    I have looked online but dont see any. Is it the same as the Nissan Note ?
  • Not sure, could well be as it's a fairly common place for parts to be shared with. beyond that it's going to be a case of ordering a Cube one from a main dealer.
  • Just a quick update. The knocking noise from suspension has been fixed. it was the NSF top strut rubber mounting and bearing which comes as one unit.