Matte black!!! (Well, some of it is...)
  • Hey!

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread, or continue the last one; so I thought if start a new one and cross my singers that this was ok.

Well... After around 12 hours of stretching vinyl, a fair bit of swearing, and a good few brews we managed to get our front end wrapped in vinyl!!

Tadaaaa!!!

And the slightly less cool view...

I will say, that it is WAY more difficult then you would imagine (I've seen the YouTube videos, I though 'well, it is more or less square, it can't be THAT difficult'.., how wrong was I!!)

It looks good (in my opinion) from a short distance, but close up there are a fair few visible slip ups, but we have a tonne more vinyl, and we're going to keep on at it and go back and redo the bits that let it down - maybe :)

The paintwork was quite poor in a couple of places once all the old Japanese stickers had been removed, so we are happy anyway :D
  • Having tried my hand at a few small wrapping projects in the past I'll say that looks like a pretty good job, as you say by the the time you've finished the car you'll be way better at it and can start again at the front  :D 

P.S Good choice on the colour too, Black is the coolest and the fastest (not that I'm biased in any way)
  • Looking good :)

If you start a thread in the members cars section you can keep that updated with progress ;)
  • Cheers fellas... Will do that cubed :)
  • Will look good all done , are you going to put anything on the black? ;) ;)
  • Nope, straight matte black :D

We have some exciting wheel plans ahead too... Without giving too much away, cubed mentioned what we have planned in an older thread... rhymes with sanded, erm, eels :D
  • Ermmmm candied reels? ;)
  • did you use water spray to get it on and have a heat gun handy for the curves? spraying everything helps loads with being able to line everything up but the curve of the front of the wing and the bumper I don't envy you with the rest should have been pretty easy to get on.

The wing mirrors will truely make you cry!!! mine look fine at range but up close the vinyl has puckered quite a lot since I did it and so I think I'm going to have to try prestretch on the second if that goes better redo the first.
  • I didn't use water/slide method - I've tried it in the past and have found that the 'pressure set' stuff (like the matte black I used here) works better dry - just my humble opinion.

Applied dry it is also a little easier to get a decent heat/stretch (yup, good old heat gun) without it shifting around to much.

The bumper/wing curve actually wasn't too bad, trimming around the bumper grills and neo-classic arches was an absolute bitch though; but the wing mirrors I am dreading - I've seen that pre- stretching technique and we'll definitely be going down that road.
  • looks great i did the bonnet and ratted it with fake rust around the edges i love vinyl