Dead Gen2 Blower Motor (intermittent) (bypassed, DIY inside)
  • Well, it only took two weeks for my cubic to break something. Yesterday: frigid polarbear air conditioning. This morning: no fan whatsoever. both fuses are good, and the digital controller is happy. Guess it's time to tear into the dash, get to the motor and resistor, and try to sort it out. I've looked around a lot on here and found nothing too useful. If you have helpful info, please link to it rather than 'in the xxx forum'.
  • if all the digital control functions 'work' it's probably the heater resistor.The part number is N27761AX000 & I think its a pretty easy swap out.Look on you tube under nissan heater resistor
  • Its located side glove box. If you have an Auto Climate model then the part is made by Valeo and is the same as used on many Peugeot, Citroen and Renault models. Easily obtainable on Ebay at fraction of Nissan price - think we paid around £35 for a new non genuine part.
  • CID, are you saying the blower is behind the passenger side glove box? I got a lot of the dash dismantled last night before dark, but have yet to get to the blower plug to test power to it. I found and electronic service manual for the Micra, and it's right-on so far.

• Anywho...After dismanteling the dash, I found out that the auto controls have a diagnostic mode. Everything checked out just fine, and after going through the diagsnostics, it works just fine again. For reference, start the vehicle, and hold the OFF button within 10 seconds until all the lights and LCD segments light up. then use temp up/down to cycle through the 5 diagnostic levels, and DEF to cycle throught the functions of each level. It's detailed in the micra service manual for those that have it.
  • And, as with all things that mysteriously fix themselves, I put the whole dash back together, reset the airbag light, and then when I drove in this morning the fan refused to work again. Grrrrrrrrr.  Should you need to reset your airbag light because it's flashing, do this: Turn the key to ignition, and when the solid airbag light goes out, turn the key off and wait five seconds. Do this four times and then start the vehicle. All done.
  • Nice tip about the heater diagnostic mode. :)

(And the airbag reset too but I knew that one)

• Yep, saw that. Isn't the fan blowing on high or nothing a symptom of the resistor pack failing though?
  • From my experience, problems with fan speed are a failure of this blower resistor.
  • So...They ebay calls it the 'blower resistor' but the manual calls that the fan control amplifier....and It bet that IS the issue. Back out to the cube with the meter...

Thanks CID.

• Hi. 

Our fan has also stopped - on all settings. I understand from reading around Micra forums that when it is the resistor, the fan works on max only.

Interested to see if the resistor works for you..

Cheers,
    Stu
  • I'll post back and let you know Stu. I've got the glove box out right now and it's exposed. The a/c didn't want to work this morning, but when i tapped on the resistor it fired right up. I'll order one in a moment, but it takes a while for things to get here on the slow boat, like 4-6 weeks.
  • Thanks for that. Completely missed that you are in JP.

I'll likely be having a dig soon so will post up on this thread with what I find.

Cheers,
    Stu
  • So... my blower came back on without me touching anything.  One thing.. we have very messy wiring hanging down near the pedals (that I have to sort soon).  I'm wondering whether something got caught up there.

If it stops again I'll investigate and post back.

Stu
  • I hope it stays fixed. Mine still likes to take every other day off.
  • With all the typhoons, I need the defroster so I can see to go to work. Still waiting on the part to come it, from China, to the states, to Oki. aye.

• No direct shipping from CN to JP?

Update on mine: blower works in manual mode, but not Auto. We can live with that so I'll make do for now and dig around after winter - unless manual operation stops again.
  • I have a military mailbox, so it has to go through the states to get to me.

Have you tried the controller diagnostics yet?
  • So, first of all, hats of to CID. It's fixed thanks to your advice.

I took the old 'blower resistor' out, put the new on in, and voila. I've found in other locations that there is a particular component prone to failure that can be replaced if you don't want to buy the whole module. I may repair mine just in case, but I was able to get one for $22 shipped. So again, thanks CID. Thank you very much. I can live without the A/C this time of year, but we've had typhoon after typhoon, and my windows tend to fog a lot. Now I can see again!

• Thanks for the follow-up.  

I did run through the diagnostics but the codes that came back were a bit generic.  I might run it again now the manual mode is working.  If it dies again I'll get a new resistor.

• And today, auto mode started working again. I'm sure this car is alive!

;)
  • Blower has stopped working again - not handy in this weather!  

So, resistor purchased and fingers crossed!
  • Good luck!
  • I ordered the new resistor and the next time I drove the car the blower worked again - magic! ;)
  • Aye, and she'll keep working until you realize that the part is going to take 2 weeks longer than expected because you ordered it from xyz, and then she'll quit forever. You'll finally pull the bad one out wondering the whole time if it was worth the money, and probably plug it in before you bolt it on to try it, and voilla. Then you'll kick yourself a bit for putting it off in the first place, and maybe vow to have a spare on the shelf for the future...

And FWIW, mine was on and off again like yours until it finally quit. I'd bet you'll be right as rain after a swap.