HELP! My03 plate cube has Stone cold radiator, temp warning lights, cooling fan working overtime!!!!
  • Hi my little cube has issues!!! As the header says I have a stone cold radiator, temperature warning light comes on and the fan is working overtime. It seems to help if I have the heater on full in the car and am going down the motorway!!!

I have done over 600 miles in the car this weekend and its fine at 70 mph ish but as soon as I get in the services or on the 30 mph roads it gets hot and all the problems start. It has not actually broken down yet (thank fully).

The two hoses to the radiator are hot, there is water in there and I have tried topping it up. the radiator cap is also cold.

Any ideas??? 
  • I have had similar issues with my cube.  You issues sound like a blockage preventing the coolant going through the rad.  Maybe an airlock?  Not a mechanic myself, but that would make sense to me.
  • Someone else has mentioned that in passing, how did you clear that???

• Best to just change thermstat as it the cheapest whilst your doing that do a rad Flush which you by in a bottle .generally if you water is clear and the car has had corrosive inhibiter in it there should of not be blocked rad . Make shaw of bleeding the system. If still doing the same there two way to to go.get a stiff test done on water system this you may have to get a garage or a friend with a sniffer tester..also there is a bottle of stuff called k seal which you add to water rad and run up and if you getting small mirco bubble in the rad this will seal the gasket worth a go if the sniff tests points towards a head gasket . But these old engine don't suffer with much hope this is of some help bud
  • I'd suggest thermostat jammed shut as water doesn't seem to be circulating. As has been said swap that out as it's usually a cheap bit and easy to do. hoepfully that will cure it if not then a blockage somewhere else seems likely so may need a bit more of a pull apart.
  • I am going to follow the path "Toaster" has suggested. Fingers crossed !!!
  • yeah mate id say it was yer thermostat..has your coolant level dropped?

id try and steer clear of k seal...great if yer head gasket has gone but It just prolongs the inevitable...great on a 300 quid car...but not in my cube dude..

• check for water in your oil most likely if you find water in the oil it's the head gasket I doubt that's it, I would test your thermostat by putting it in a pot, heat the water,  then if the thermostat doesn't move that's your problem
  • I've just spent some time working on my cube.  As I've said I've got similiar issues.  After trying a couple of other things I purchased a new thermostat of ebay for Nissan K12 engine (£6).  I then set to work replacing the part.

Couple of tricks and tips that might help speed things up for you if you are going to DIY it.  

1.  Jack the offside front side.  It gives you better access to the drain plug.
    2.  The drain plug is at the bottom of the radiator to the right side when looking from the front of the car.
    3.  Remove the air filter to gain access to the thermostat.
    4.  Be very careful when putting the drain plug back in.  I lost mine in the slot underneath the rad.  It took blooming ages to get the thing back out!

I'm not sure whether it's fixed my issue, but the old thermostat didn't click or change when in a cup of boiling water.

• Had the "Sniff" test done - the heads gone!!! BOO HOO HOO
  • Doh that a shame at least its only a head gasket and stuff . Not going to be cheap unless you can use tools your self . How ever as a short time fix that kseal work well and I got my cavalier.going again for about two years it not the cure but it may give you time for a tenner .
  • Well I thought about K seal but I love my Cube too much. So £600 later for a head skimming and preasurising, gaskit kit from Nissan, new stretch bolts, labour, new battery and replace a bold tyre my cube is humming along nicely again!!!

Then the Mrs turns around and says shes wants a baby!!!I'm going to end up in a 1.4 focus in order to release some of the capital in my cube AARRGGHH.

At least I can sell it with an honest service history.
  • Don't do it!!!!!!!! we changed to a cube on the arrival of our second child as the previous car wasn't suitable!!! cubes are family cars all the way. Can't be that much cash in the change from the cube to a half decent Focus anyway. [-X
  • I got my cube purely for my lil one coming n how awesome they are :D don't change the cube for a focus!
  • I dont want to but I can get a 1.4 focus for £1000 in the auctions and the cube should go for about £3000 now its fixed. So it frees up some cash!! 

Also can you get a baby seat in the cube front seat as I cant find a way to switch off the front air bag??  And put my friends baby in the back today and it was a struggle!!
  • You know your cube but if you buy a car from the auction and the gear box or engine fails most of your money will go , and who puts a decent car in an auction anyway ?
  • Our kids seats go in the back, the sliding seat helps with getting everything in place I found.
  • Best place back mine you did had to once in front but a lot easyer in rear works well with click teck seats although I use normal for the other mini me
    What if I have to put a child in the front seat?

If you're forced to seat a child up front because the car is full car or it lacks a backseat (a pickup truck, for instance), slide the seat as far back as possible before installing the appropriate child safety seat or booster. If the air bag has an on-off switch, set it to "off." If you can't turn the air bag off, under no circumstances place a rear-facing infant car seat in that spot.

If you don't have an air bag on-off switch and regularly need to put a child in the front seat, consider getting a switch installed. You can find out how from the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA).
  • +1 on the Cube as a family wagon.

I chopped in a mint Bora V5 for ours and have never looked back.  Getting my daughter in and out of the Cube 100 times easier than the Bora due to the high roofline.  As mentioned, sliding seat great - at the moment we carry vast amounts of 'stuff' around for someone with very short legs.  As she gets older, her need for said 'stuff' decreases and her legs get longer, so seat can slide rearwards to accommodate that.

Ours does not have ISOfix (it was a factory option) but the seat goes in fine with the rear belts.

I can get what you say about freeing up the cash but tread carefully - a dog from an auction might well end up costing more in the long run.  Also, the market for Cubes is a funny one - easy sell if someone sees and loves it, but plenty of buyers wouldn't even look at one.

On the original subject...

Are head gaskets a weakness on these cars?  Any idea of mileage at which they should be changed?
  • Head gaskets only change wen they give up. mine now done over 100th now. just luck wen they give up.
  • I have the 7 seat cubic and it's awesome for carting the family around.  It takes far more stuff in than my focus c-max and the extra row of seats is great when we have foster children to cart around.  

We've had 3 adults and 4 kids from 6-1years old in it and all the luggage!
  • Well I will visit the "mothercare " on the weekend to ask them about it.

Is there an on / off switch for the airbags in the 03 plate cube??

Also has any one had to replace an altinator?? if so how much did you pay for the part and where from??
  • usual answer from everyone in advance but figuring it's the same as the K12 Micra one as the engine is the same but someone else will know for sure.

The airbag switch on the gen 3 is top right in the glove box so figure if the gen 2 has one it would be in the glove box as well. Took ours to Kiddie care for the seat fitting the day we bought it to buy a second stage 2/3 seat for our eldest and think pretty much any seat they offered would have fitted. The original stage 1 seat we have fits better in our cube than it ever did in our 02 plate civic as well! It was always a struggle to get the belts round in the civic.