[b]Standard spec / Optional extras: [/b]
    Remote locking / Factory alarm
    Keyless start
    CVT transmission
    Electronic a/c
    Auto headlights
    Foldaway mirrors
    Wind deflectors

Basically the only cube feature I've seen but this hasn't got is the mountain dew air purifier that Simon has. :)
  • *claps hands* *wooping*
  • mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, beans! 8)
  • good to hear mate give me a shout if you need a hand matey....
  • Mmmmmmmmm nice colour (your original choice if i remember right) shame you had to get one this way though, but nice to see a positive out come to it all

oh brown or cream interior?

Paul
  • Cheers guys.

Sy, I'll be arranging a suspension swapover meet on my drive with you and EuroBob, you'll be renumerated for your time / petrol if you fancy it.

Paul, as you say, its a sad way for it happen but I'm a believer in fate and everything happens for a reason. :)

Even more destiny is the way I got this cube. Since the accident I've been checking out cube / cubic ads on ebay and autotrader.

I'm in Ayr this week and on Tuesday a new ad appeared for my now second cube, located in Perth. (2 hours from Ayr or 5.5 hours from home)

This car wouldnt have been an option if it had been up a week or earlier or later.

I drove over yesterday morning and the garage seemed surprised I'd turned up to look at their staff runaround, it seems the ad had been accidentally relisted and the car wasn't even there until 12pm so I left and went back.

It was covered in graphics and mud but ran well, is packed with features and has 37,000 miles.

Couple of faults but only with parts I can swap off cubed1.

I did a deal as is - mud, graphics and all - by 3 I'd rolled off the forecourt in cubed2 and they did wash and vac her in the end any way.

I don't know who was more pleased with the deal. :D

I peeled the graphics off in a beachside car park this afternoon and she's clean and straight. :)

Oh, interior is grey but the seat covers will be swapped from cubed1.
  • Dicksons in Perth? I've seen that car advertised and thought it was a bit pricey, although as you say a minter- hope you haggled well!
  • just give me some notice and will come over in works van . .
  • Yeah the Dicksons one. The advertised price was on a par with other "genuine" traders like the garage that are selling Rickfury's cube but I got it to the price I was willing to pay.
  • TBH, whilst I always liked what you did the original Cubed, I was never a massive fan of the colour. Thought it needed a something different.

With this in mind, I can't wait to see the Bean Yellow version! :)
  • Ha, that's like when you get your haircut and everyone says "that's much better"

:P
  • pics pics pics! :twisted:
  • Pics as collected on 31/08/11 ...

Pics midway through peeling the stickers off on 01/09/11 ...

ho ho ho

Pics with all stickers peeled off on 01/09/11 ...

Pics with residue removed on 03/09/11 ...

Going to give it a full wash and polish tomorrow morning.

• Did you return the woman back to the garage that you found on the back seat whilst peeling the graphics off? :lol:
  • That's Carla, my wife, it would cost me quite a bit to return her! :D
  • hi mate,like the new cube i can't wait to see it enfold :-)
  • Nice! Really looking forward to seeing this one evolve. :)
  • sweet . . let the mods begin ..lol.. looks sweet as phil and key less mmmm . :mrgreen:
  • 52 plate cvt with keyless is without doubt the best version... But you big spender have the EX while i'll have to be satisfied with the SX...
  • I gave cubed2 a full wash this morning.

I started off by going around each panel and removing any remaining sticker residue and tar spots with white spirit following a rinse, wash, and rinse.

After this the only remains of any sticker was the plastic trim at the bottom of the tailgate.

(The panel had faded a little, at a different rate where the sticker had been. The wing mirors were also a bit 'matt-finished' too.)

After a quick polish with Autoglym Super Resin Polish there was no trace of the letters.

I then polished every other panel that had stickers on previously and here are the results...

After the next wash I will apply a coat of wax over the panels to protect the paintwork, pleased that there were no hidden nasties behind the graphics. :)

I'm also getting a few plans for this now, going to go a different route to the manga / cartoon add-ons this time around.

• Don't do a thing for that DIY masterpiece, that rearfoglamp.... :wink:

Nice work in getting the stickers of so well. Impressive.
  • The fog lamp will be gone as soon as I've got cubed1 back home and swapped the LED lights over. ;)
  • Hey, sorry to read about your loss! Im glad I got to see cubed1 in the metal before his untimely demise :(

I am loving the new colour though and can't wait to see where you are going with this one...

One question though, would you by any chance now have a spare set of cube factory brackets that holds the radio in place? Mine were nicked when some unmentionable decided to smash my window and remove the whole double din unit and factory brackets. This happened some while ago, unable to find any brackets that fit I had to get the old meccano set out and made my self a bodge job bracket but it isn't exactly sturdy :)

Just a thought as im guessing you will be breaking cubed1 up at some point :cry:

Cheers!
  • Thanks Thor, the cinema show was probably the pinnacle for cubed1, with all mods completed as I wanted.

I haven't decided whether to sell cubed1 as repairable or in parts yet. I've PM'd you.

If anyone else is wondering about parts I'd rather keep this thread about my new cube.

I'll start a new thread once I've moved the mods across and decided what to do.

Thanks
    Phil
  • busy as a bee at the mo but can deffo do a weekend day when youre ready to start welding butty, just need plenty of notice, we cutting the original brackets from the car or you able to get new ones made up? (Posher and better if you can get them) 8) i got plenty of stock if we need to get some done, easy for me to make them up in my garage if you get me sketches/dims!
  • Cheers Bob, I was wondering what to do about re-using the mounts.

I should be able to get new ones made up, I'll have a look underneath and have a word with Ray.
  • As im an ex-weld inspector & fab/welder :roll: then i should push you in the direction of getting new ones made due to the ones on the car having been welded into place and now been under stress, removing will be a nightmare, weaken them and be messy, plus far easier, quicker and better job welding to new. 8)
  • I'll go for the new, I don't want to compromise. :)

I swapped the headlights and grill over this evening, whole job took 1 hour and 4 minutes from 1st photo to the last...

Cubed2 is wearing the shades now. 8)
  • take a pic with your ligths on i wants to see what it looks like :P
  • On the road next week then? 8)
    Looking nice allready!
  • Well Phil its good to see your not hanging about with your new cube ;).
    Even with that basic grill job, the new one looks swell :)

Good luck in your new project bud, i will pop in now and again, to keep an eye on your progress.

all my best

RF
  • Cheers mate, saw a Stream a couple of days ago and thought of you. :D
  • Lots of in progress photos to post up but the latest update is I now have the air ride components and front air struts fitted to cubed2. Just waiting for welding assistance to fit the rear bags. ;)

I had the kit pro-fitted the first time so it was a great feeling watching it rise for the first time doing all the work myself this time around.

In these photos cubed2 has the front air struts at full drop with standard rear height and cubed1 has the rear bags at full drop and no suspension at all on the front. (Hence the camber)

• Good work Phil , Im glad your getting things sorted ;)

Rf
  • :-) Looking cool.. the wheels look even better on Cube 2...
  • I know, i know! 8)
    Been on nights since tuesday and on till friday so unless the M4 collapses i should be ok for the sunday if youre free? (work bit manic at the mo but might stop soon so grabbing it with both hands!)
    Looking nice, cracking colour too! :twisted:
  • Cheers guys, although I may be selling the teddies as I'm thinking of going for a different look this time around.

No worries Bob, work and home has always got to be top priority. It's worked out well any way as it's given me chance to get everything else working first.
  • Wow, can't believe it! New cube is looking good though...
  • Thanks, it's caused lots of frustration but i'm all in one piece. :)
  • Any updates? My garage is empty at the mo if you want to drive it down to south wales to weld on them brackets? :roll:
    8) I got confused on other thread for cubed1, thought youd had another prang!!! 8O
  • Got a few updates, mainly interior related. It's all been flocked now. (Just can't get a decent photo!)

I haven't managed to find a local welder yet so a drive to Wales sounds tempting. The car's all ready to be welded, just a case of sorting a good date for both of us! :)
  • Got the new brackets then? is it a job that can be done/swopped/welded in a day? Rugger this sat but free most weekends up till xmas, if you got pipework run etc and its just a grind and weld job and fit rear bags then it would be a cinch as got loads of gear in garage! missus would supply plenty of coffee! 8)
  • Yes, definitely less than a day -

1. Wheel off
    2. Strut off
    3. Spring falls out by itself
    4. Weld plate below where spring was
    5. Weld plate with stud above where spring was
    6. Screw bag onto stud and bolt from below

Repeat for opposite side.

Stubborn strut nut would be the potential problem but I can remove and retighten in advance to check it's not going to give gyp.

Pipework is all in place.

The only date I can do before Christmas is 17th or 18th if those are any good?

Cheers
    Phil
  • I have grinders!!!! 8) im at home working doing reports up until xmas i should think so i can do week days if that helps? off to site next wednesday, mondays usually in office if needed but can juggle any other days??
    Have loads of gear in garage so if you can make it down south it would be a damn site easier for me and seeing as i was supposed to come up to do it then i would sleep much better! :roll:
    In cwmbran, torfaen, less than hour and 45 mins away roughly?
  • Unfortunately weekends are the only option for me as I work week days.

Not sure what the lighting is like in your garage but could do a mental one and drive down after work one evening - get to yours for 6.30pm. 5/6 hours to do it and then drive back up I should be home by 2.30am?!?

Thoughts?!?
  • Genny power only so early sat or sun only option im afraid! :(
    Rugby this weekend, free sunday, out next sat night free sunday?
  • I think it's going to be best to focus on getting cubed1 ship-shape and ready to go and look into getting the welding done in January.
  • Okey dokey, will deffo get it sorted then in new year! 8)
    Will be so much easier to do it here with all my gear and bits, free coffee and tea as well! :D
    Will aim for a sat morning then and good weather, in garage if its raining (hard standing next to garage!)?
  • Right it's about time I did some updates...

First up, although not fitted yet I bought a pair of shorter shocks as it was the standard shocks that was limiting my lows on cubed1 -

On the interior, lots of flocked panels fitted and more to come. (Tricky to catch it right in a photo as the flock reflects light so looks odd when the flash is needed) -

I'm also replacing the grey seat belts with black to fit the colour scheme, I've only got the lap belt so far -

The next bit of my project has taken the most amount of time, building out the door cards so that less of the music is lost within the door card cavity and to improve the look. (Got loads of photos but I'll keep it to the highlights for now unless anyone wants to see specifics) -

Holes cut in door cards -

Mount ring fixed to door card with glue gun -

Cloth stapled in place -

Resined up to make a hard shell -

Test fit speaker -

Separate trim ring to hide speaker bolts -

Both sides complete -

The door cards and trim rings will also be flocked soon.
  • Back onto the exterior, I've had another autobot eyes badge made up for the tailgate to hide the Nissan badge holes -

The documents arrived to transfer my reg across on Christmas Eve so first up the front plate is a simple screw on job -

Rear plate needed a bit more involvement as I've relocated it ready for my smooth rear bumper (again) -

Number plate light and new high brake light -

Number plate light where the washer jet used to be -

New Brake light sits below the plastic trim so that it is visible below where the reg plate now is -

Reverse cam fitted in place of wiper too -
  • Back on the inside, last time I mounted the screen in the centre console it was sitting too far back for the panel to fit properly so I've now fixed it semi-recessed and trimmed and resined in the same way as I've done the door cards, this will be flocked too -

• Looking good! :twisted:
  • And last but not least for now is something that wasn't planned (and I'm a bit annoyed at myself for not resisting the urge but hey ho) is a new set of wheels -

They won't be fitted until Spring though.

Plans for the next month or so will be -

1. Getting the remaining interior parts flocked and fitted, which will then mean that I can transfer the last few bits back into cubed 1 so it's ready to go.

2. Fitting the rear lights in the window.

3. Fitting the smooth bumpers once complete.

4. Getting the rear air bags fitted. ;)

5. Giving it a well deserved wash and polish.

6. Relaxing! :D
  • Cheers Bob. :) (Post crossover)
  • Hi

Love the work, it's given me the urge to do something with my Cube, just a quick question where did you get the air suspension from and do you have any more pics regarding the install.
    Could do with something like that, the Island roads aren't the best in World never mind the UK.

Thanks

Paul
  • Cheers Paul

Full details of the air ride are in my original cube build thread here on page 7 -

http://forum.cubeownersclub.co.uk/topic/426/page/7
  • Hi,

Thanks for that, just a question does your wheels and tyres rub the rear arches I've got 205/50 R15 fitted but as soon as I get two people in the back of the car, it rubs like hell, I'm going through tyres left right and centre.
    Any ideas how I can cure this?

Thanks

Paul
  • Hi Paul

Have you had your car lowered?

Before the air ride my last car was lowered 45mm at the back and had 17" x 7" wheels with a 42 offset and 205/40/17 tyres. (Diameter of 596mm)

When I had people in the back it used to rub so I had the arches rolled. (A device that folds in the metal lip around the arch when applied with heat to give more clearance.)

That made rubbing less frequent but still did in some circumstances, the shocks were standard so stiffer shocks may have prevented that but I fitted my teddies then any way which aren't as wide so had more arch clearance and subsequently went with air ride.

Obvious advantage of air ride is you can have it real low when you're driving on your own or on smooth roads and then pop it up if you have more people in or on speedbump or lanes.

Hope this helps.

Phil
  • Hi Phil,

I've put up a thread on here to see if there are any more Cube owners over here.
    No Luck yet, only found one Generation 3 but mine is a Generation 2 so I haven't been able to compare them to see if the ride heights are different or the same as I have.
    I'm going to be Rolling in my rear arches in a week or so's time to try that.
    I'll put up a thread of the job so others could look at it and maybe try it.
    This Owners Club website is one of the best I've seen or been on, everybody's very helpful and pleasant to deal with.

Well Keep Up With the Good Work. I'm also now looking at fitting a hydrogen fuel cell to my car to help the fuel mpg will keep you posted.

Thanks

Paul
  • Like the new shoes phil, they imports? not seen them before??? 8)
  • Looks great mate, cant wait to get mine saturday! what is the little arial on the left side of the front bumper?
  • Cheers folks

Paul, I'll check out your thread to see if I can tell from the photos if it's lowered. I'd be amazed if it scrubs at standard height as there's bags of arch clearance.

Bob, they were actually originally from a Renault Modus, quite fitting it's they're equivalent of the cube. :)

Dan, it's a parking indicator - an optional extra - The acrylic rod is missing but it has a blue LED which lights along with sidelights in the grey base which passes the light up through the rod.
  • Hi,

Those parking Indicator rods I've only seen on Artics bit of a difference a Artic to a Cube, someone must have been bad at reversing or parking.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks

Paul
  • The parking rods are quite common on Jap imports. The missus Figaro has one.
  • The one im getting Saturday has 2 or 3 little silver circle button type things where the rod would of been looks like it's been taken off. Can I refit one? Are they easy to get hold of?
  • Hi,

Yes they're easy to get hold of, quite a few motor factors sell them, or you can try the trucking catalogues as well.

Hope this helps.
  • Actually had chance to wash cubed2 at the weekend so thought I'd post a general update of what has been done over the past four months ...

Seat covers swapped over -

Flocked dash, rear door cards, and boot panels -

Teddies swapped over (But will be replaced sooon), front on air ride, custom grill, tinted headlights swapped over, rear light bar swapped over, wind deflectors removed -

Just waiting for the front bumper to be resprayed and the rear bumper to be resmoothed and sprayed and to sort out the rear air ride and all will be better than ever. :)
  • Looking good. Love that 'hot rod' stance it's got at the mo though with the air on the front and the slightly worn whitewalls. All that's missing are some flames down the sides. :mrgreen:
  • Hi,

It's looking very good, keep up the good work.
  • Cheers, I'd be happy to keep the stance if I had big fat wheels and a V8 to back it up. :)
  • It's been a busy weekend :)

First up on Saturday morning...

Remove standard rear bumper -

Cubevan loaded up for various trips (air ride kit to get a quote for rear air ride welding, wheels and dash to get sprayed, and various bits and the front door cards to get flocked) -

I fitted the rear bumper while I was at professor wheeto's place so today I fitted the front bumper...

Spotted the CVT oil cooler while I was there -

All done -

Front plate on and a quick wash -
  • Hi Phil,

It's looking sweet
  • Wow Phil, looking good! Been busy. How different does the car look with that smooth back,
  • Looking very nice. Those smoothed out bumbers do look good.
  • Looking good, will start the prep work on the other bits tomorrow :-)
  • Cheers folks, I'm finally getting back to where I was before the accident now. :)

Thanks Scotty. Really pleased with the work on the bumpers and the colour match. :D
  • Hi Phil- looks great. I can't help thinking the rear would look better with the numberplate mounted on the bumper- like you have done at the front, but centered. Somehow the balance is now off by having removed the lights...

I'll probably get shot down for suggesting, but it's my opinion.

Meenrod
  • No that's cool, I know what you mean.

The plate on my last cube was down there but I always smooth the plate recesses on my cars and I'm fed up of aftermarket number plate LEDs stopping working after a few months so this time I decided not to risk it and use the wash jet hole as somewhere to mount a light that won't be affected by the weather. Having said that I'm looking into TVR style rear plates that light from behind so I could mount it offset on the window somewhere.
  • Awesome, whens the new shoes going on? 8)
  • Tried to PM you bud but think your inbox is full!! Sorry to hear about Cubed1 :( but looks like you have wasted no time on its replacement, developments are coming thick and fast!!!! I think I spoke to you back along re your Teddy alloys and couldn't help noticing you mention they are to be replaced soon.

If you are selling the teddy alloys I could well be interested and would be interested to know what sort of price you would be looking for??

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Si
  • Sorry to hear bot Cubed1 dude. That was a briliant car. Loving the new one to. I think the colour stands out more than the white. How much was air ride dude. Been wanting to do it for ages and sick of floor pan catching stuff. :roll:
  • The new wheels aren't on yet, got tyres fitted today but waiting for spacers to be delivered from Germany before they're on the car.

Si, I've cleared my inbox so will message you in a mo.

Ronster, air ride is £1400 self fit. It's all bolt on / bolt off / wire up apart from a plate and bolt that needs to be welded on each side of rear suspension.
  • That's a good price. Might have to start saving :lol: Whats ride qualit like. I know a lad who had hydrolics and they were very soft.
  • Mine are soft at the moment - I like it when I bounce instead of bang over bumps / potholes but the front struts are made using avo adjustable coilovers so you get a knob which you use to adjust stiffness by turning a rod at the top of the strut under the bonnet.
  • Latest on the wheels...

CMS Reversi wheels (16" x 6")

Photo when purchased

Colour-coded to bodywork by Prof. Wheato

Tyres purchased

Nankang NS2 165/40/16 Tyres fitted

Just waiting for spacers to arrive before fitting. (Delayed due to German snow :? )
  • Before -

Original grey vents and hooks -

Sprayed with Halfords Vinyl Dye -

Heater controls surrounds -

Speedo face tinted with lamin-x and speedo surround fitted -

Complete -

• Look white in the photos but they are the same colour as body. :)
  • Im doing the same with mine atm got some jobs to do this week
  • Post some info and pics on your thread then lets see. ;)
  • Lookign well dude. I'm so jealous, :lol: Wish I had skills to do this sort of thing. I did paint my centre console though, Russet brown ( an old Austin colour)
  • Looking good, nice to see it all coming back together.

Did I send the photos of the wheels and dash parts when I had them in the booth? Got a memory like a sieve!
  • Yes Scotty, didn't unzipped those until i uploaded this lot!

Ronster, scotty is the guy with the paint talent.

I just have ideas and determination to take everything apart and put it all back together. :D
  • A couple of small bits of progress...

I've fitted colour-coded interior accents to the door card inserts, front vent surrounds, and the glove box fascia.

Parts -

Complete -

(Still waiting for the front door cards to be flocked before I can fit those and the front door inserts)

I've also discovered the best smelling air freshener ever at my local murco petrol station...

It smells like the cherry side of these - image

I also spent a bit of time at the weekend tidying up the bootbuild for the air ride but I'll post pics on that once it's finished.

Good news from today is that I've changed my spacers order from H&R to Eibach as they're in stock in the UK so no more waiting. (Hopefully) Spacers are due for delivery tomorrow so hope to fit the wheels on Saturday. :)
  • Hmmm. Been wondering about doing something like those accents myself. Where did ya get 'em mate?
  • I bought them from SkyRacer (Dave at eastern-autos.com) they were fitted to a cube that he was breaking a couple of years ago.

They are a Nissan product, not sure how easy they are to get hold of but it's worth asking Dave if he can import them or a friendly Nissan dealer if you're lucky?
  • Hmmm. I'll try, but I enquired about some other bits from EA a while ago and heard sod all back!

Cheers for the info though. Much obliged.
  • Breakthrough weekend! :D

Picked the cube up from Retro Performance on Saturday morning who fitted the rear air ride and also the rear FK struts. (These are different to the standard cube ones though so I need to get thicker bushes)

Put a new sticker on the cills too...

I also wanted to improve the visibility of the rear of the cube at night, as my lights are fitted quite a bit from the edge of the car I bought a red LED strip from ebay and stuck it to the underside of the boot tailgate and wired it in to the rear lights so it gives a nice red glow.

Lights off...

Lights on...

• must admit i think i like cube 2 lots keep the good ideas coming mate

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion