[2005] [Air Blue] [Tazbert] - Meet talkie!
  • Finally got round to taking a couple of shots of my Cube while I was outside fiddling with the lights this evening. As a few people I know have referred to it as a 'toaster on wheels', I have christened it 'Talkie' after the annoying character from the Red Dwarf tv series\novels*

I might change the alloys, not decided yet. The standard ones are growing on me. It won't be lowered though as we've just got far too many bloody speed humps round here. The old man spending several hundred quid to repair suspension damage to his Jag a couple of months back after a particularly nasty encounter made up my mind!

Might have some vinyl decals added, similar to that Blue Aussie Neo-Classic on here and a new head unit fitted, but apart from that, I doubt I'll fiddle too much!

*(If you don't have a clue what I'm on about, have a look:
    )
  • Looking nice! i toyed with changing my gen2 alloys but i ended up liking them to much, might look good different colour though! :twisted:
  • Looking nice! i toyed with changing my gen2 alloys but i ended up liking them to much, might look good different colour though! :twisted:
  • Ta. It's very tidy. Been well looked after.

Yeah, like I say the stocks are growing on me. If I changed wheels, they'd be black. Although toying with the idea of just refurbing what I've got and getting 'em resprayed.
  • New Kenwood head unit fitted at the weekend. DVD, MP3, Bluetooth hands free & streaming, iPod thingies, microwaves pigeons, makes tea.....etc etc. 

Also had a bloody good service yesterday. Running sweet as a nut now & all set for Czech road trip next week. :)
  • First update in a while! New pics with the couple of recent additions all done.

New RS Watanabe 15x6.5 alloys complete with centre caps and also wind deflectors added....

New rubber going on this weekend as a couple of the tyres that came with the wheels will need doing by the next MoT anyway.

When you drive a toaster, it's only logical that you have a loaf of bread to hand. This is Bernd. He's German, hence the rather stern look on his face. :mrgreen: 

Just the 'Cube' side graphics to add now, but the weather has been a bit crappy to get those on, so will have to wait. Shame, was hoping to get it sorted for Japfest.
  • Indeed a very tidy Cube, I like those wheels. And Bernd of course. :D
  • Very shiny! Wheels are so nice, liking the centre caps too.

I just have one question for you....... would you like some toast? :P
  • Sorry, I'm more a teacake man TBH. :)
  • So needs "I toast therefore I am" on a sticker on the back!
  • I have loads of ideas. Just not got round to doing 'em yet. Definitely need to add at least one toast related sticker though as some point. :)
  • Nice, that reminds me of a bread slice urban vinyl figure you can buy.
  • Your cube looks very neat :)
  • Free saturday, nice weather, no wind and the missus is out up town on the piss lunching like what ladies does. So s'pose I better get out and do some work on the car.... 

Domo-Kun! 

Got a stack of stickers from Japfest to put on, but I'm knackered so they can wait. Time for dinner! :)
  • Nice!
    And Bernd das Brot is great :mrgreen:
  • Latest little bit of tinkering! Fitted a stubby 'shark fin' style aerial. Not sure about the shiny black yet, might either respray it matte or maybe same colour as the car as Prof did with his. We'll see....

Being the idiot that I am, I managed to headbutt my rearview mirror when fiddling about with the above aerial first off yesterday. SNAP! D'oh! :( 

Tried to glue it with some super strength stuff, but no joy. Quite why Nissan made a part like that with such a weak point is beyond me. Got a new one on order, which is going to cost me the best part of 40 quid (got to buy the whole fuggin assembly. Mirror, the lot. Grrr!). Had to pop down to Halfords for a short term replacement.... 

Looks shite and isn't quite wide enough, but it'll have to do for a few days!

Also put on the stickers I got from Japfest a lil' while back & hadn't put pics up. Here they are....

Jess the cat had to be done. I'm firmly of the school of thought that if you get in first with the self depreciation, people will stop trotting out the same tired old lines. That and my little niece absolutely loves it!

Decided not to go with the Wakaba leaf as it's so overdone these days. And besides, I'm nearly 40 FFS, so putting a 'new driver' sticker on felt a bit stupid. The Ochiba 'old slow bastard' one was more my style though (although some who know me would reckon the blue & white four leaf clover for 'disabled' would suit better)! 

Also got a couple still to add ('Nissan' in Japanese script), just not decided where to put them yet.

Next stage is to spraying the grille & light inserts matte black, plus the surrounds on the rear lights. I don't have a garage or a shed to hand, so need to work out how\when I'm going to do it....
  • i supper glued my mirror back wen i knocked it off
  • This arrived in the post today. Only £6 and came super fast.

Was planning on doing the grille this weekend, but sadly her ladyship has indicated that I am required to attend a 'baby shower' with her. Whatever the f*ck one of those is. So I'll probably do a dry run of the dismantling bit on sunday & apply the tint to the front indicators before I paint instead of after.

Also got a scruffy Nissan airbox coming from a breaker. Plan to put it on the car so I can prep & spray mine a nice colour to give under the bonnet some detail. Also plans for a battery box as well.... :)
  • Did the same with my mirror, araldite works just put the middle bit back in place and fill around the edge with it works a treat
  • Yeah, I'm having one last go as resurrecting the mirror this weekend with a serious bit of adhesive. See if I can't save myself almost £40. :roll:
  • Missus was out at a gig with a mate today, so played catchup with the jobs I wanted to do! :)

Off with the grille.... 

....so I could get at the indicators and apply the 'FlyEyes' mesh to tint them. Dead easy to do, even for a 'tard like me! 

Had loads left over, so did the front sides as well.... 

....which look pretty cool when refitted! 

As it was nice out and I still had bags of daylight left, I got to work with my mini-sander and prepped the grille for it's black satin respray (all those little squares are a sod to get into!). Only took just over an hour, so after a good clean off of all the crap got a good coat of primer on too. Whoop!

Couple of tiny patches that'll need a rub down and another coat, but pretty pleased overall for my first bit of rattle can work! :)

Got all tidied up & was all settled for a quiet evening when just before 9, her ladyship called. Her ride home from her gig in Brixton hadn't made it and she wanted to know if I could pick her up from Croydon later. PANIC! So it was back out into the fading daylight to re-fit the grille (it had thankfully had several hours to dry so should be ok) and the indicators so I had a functioning motor to go play taxi a bit later on. Looks quite funny with the grey primered grille. :mrgreen:

Will hopefully attack it with the sander and primer again tomorrow after work to get the prep all finished. Then I've
    got tuesday off for my birthday, so weather permitting it'll be 1 coat of black in the morning, then do a second one late on and let it go off overnight before fitting weds nite after work.

If I can, I'm also going to try & do the inserts in the lights. Fingers crossed it all looks good when done!
  • Taz, don't put on a top coat, and then another coat later on after the 1st has dried. It won't bond properly. I'd suggest maybe 6 - 8 coats as it takes alot of impacts from stones and bugs. Leave 10 mins between thin coats (so should take 60 - 80 mins). With top coat, the coat needs to be tacky so that the next layer of paint sticks to it, just like when you glue something and put it on other pieces to be glued. The only way you should put another top coat on after it's dried is if you wet sand it flat and then spray again. You won't get a very good finish otherwise bud, and the tiniest impacts will take the paint off.
  • Ok, cheers for the tips Fil. Will bear that in mind!
  • Had a day off today (I do not work on my birthday!) and went round to see the folks first thing. Also had an ulterior motive as I wanted to use their back garden and pop up gazebo as a painting canopy. :)

Using Fil's recommended method from above, I slowly built up the coats. Did it over about an hour and a half with no more than 10 mins between. Got about 10 on there in the end before the paint ran out.

Left it hanging for most of the day to dry. Unfortunately I had to refit it before I came home a little while ago, but I've put a cover on the car tonight to keep it dry in case it rains.

Not a bad finish TBH. Especially for simple Halfords rattle can. Glad I went for satin black instead of matte too. I prefer the look. Badge back on outside mine before applying a cover for the night (I'm off out to get beered up, so no need for it this evening!). 

Just need to find a couple of days where I can have it off the road so I can do the headlight inserts. Thankfully they won't need as many coats as the grille, so should be a bit easier.

My new light stalk arrived today from Japan, so will get that done in the next week or so. Got some mudguards coming too. And then next up is a stainless exhaust and paint the airbox.

So not much really. Ahem.
  • Tidy job that! just finished 2.5 yr contract so finally will get some time to myself and aim to get my 626 grille fitted this week! Good pointers! 8)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion