Dash removal to access car stereo
  • Ok, although I've seen a text 'how to' I thought I'd post a quick picture guide. It's really simple, even for those of you that get scared at the thought of even holding a screwdriver.

Step 1.
    Start with this. Tools required? 1 Phillips-head screwdriver, daylight and patience.

2. Remove the ashtray and you'll see this:

3. Remove the two screws (already done above). Put to one side - you'll need them later!

4. Gently pull the bottom left hand edge away from the main dash. It comes away quite easily, so don't yank it hard, just ease it out!

5. Now get your fingertips (you don't need a screwdriver - you'll only scratch your dash) and pull gently at the top of the dash - this is barely held in place with plastic latches - so it detaches away from the main dash.

6. Like so..

7.Until it all detaches thus:

8. The best way I've found of detaching the two electrical connections (hazard warning light switch and the cigar lighter socket) is to twist the dash slightly, like so:

9. First is the Hazard Warning Light. Press the top of the plastic connector down (arrowed) with your fingernail or a small screwdriver - it has a small latch that stops the connection disconnecting during normal driving. Once the latch is depressed, the connector should come away easily. If it doesn't, you haven't hit the right spot for the latch! Just be patient and you'll find it.

10. Now you've got a bit more room, the lighter socket simply pulls away from the two metal spades, but it can be stiff, so try and get both hands down the gap and hold the socket AND the connector as you pull the two apart.

11. Now you can wiggle the dash out around the gear shift/lever, and you're done. You can now see how the stereo unit and pocket tray(s) are connected into the main dash - four self-tapping screws (two indicated here).

12. Undo those and you can gently extract the whole unit. As you can see it's all held together by two metal side plates - the stereo and the pocket trays are screwed into these.

13. The car has these connectors going to the speakers (front and rear)

14. So you need one of these (search for "Nissan Micra ISO Adaptor" on ebay - I've used a company called LiquidICE for this and they were good value and quick - http://eshop.liquidice2008.co.uk/epages/BT4177.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT4177/Products/"PC2-76-4 Nissan Navara Micra X Trail" ) to connect your stereo unit to the speakers.

15. The pocket tray is attached here via one screw (indicated) and a plastic locating plug.

So, once you've sorted your stereo, replacing your dash is simply a reversal of stages 1-11. There's so much space behind the dash for a stereo unit that there's no problem about having a load of leads and connectors. The unit you see in the pics (JVC NX7000) has the speaker connectors, the aerial lead (which is the unit earth), a bluetooth lead going to a bluetooth transceiver located under the steering wheel, a GPS lead going to a GPS receiver under the dash, a video lead coming from the reversing camera and there's still loads of room.

So, don't be afraid. Get under the dash!

Spike
  • Great work! Was looking for this guide 2 weeks ago and couldn't find it.
  • Thanks, I took photos bit never got around to writing up the words. :D
  • Has anyone seen a "double din" storage thingy (is that what you call pocket tray?). I have a single din head unit so currently have two pockets, exactly opposite of the picture, but would rather have one big one.Haven't seen any on ebay but might be using the wrong key words.
  • I looked for a double one but no joy so settled for a single. The problem i have now is due to the bevelled edge of the dash facia you can't clip the thin plastic stereo surround on, tried several things but no luck canyon suggest a way round this or post any pictures of the solution??

Cheers

Si
  • I do like these instructions with pics, they surely do help if one is in doubt.

For that plastic "pocket" thingy , under the stereo , I have been planning of putting some extra gauges in it.
    I have a feeling, sizewise, it is ideal for 2 , maybe 3 of there 50 mm stardard universal gauges ?
    Maybe engine temp, amps or volts , and a proper clock. Or somtehing like that.
    Also felt that during the cold and snowy period, it would have been handy to know the outside temperature.
  • Yes , something like that.
    For 17.99 thats not much. It is actually really cheap.
    Maybe worth playing a bit ?
  • hey mate, good job, do you know how to pull the other silver plastic cover off, around the speedo?
  • Sit. I had the same problem with my single din stereo the car came with, and the double din pioneer I installed afterwards. The fascia stereo surround wont clip on due to the cars stereo surround. Simple: order a sheet of 2mm rubber from ebay, use your stereos fascia as a template and cut out a hole in the rubber sheet. Now trim a border of around 5mm or so around the edge and use that to blank the tiny gaps between the stereo and car dash surround. It actually looks better than the stereo fascia as it means the stereo face sits flush with the dash rather than being slightly raised. Looks more factory fitted. I'm just in the middle of paining my whole stereo dash surround and speedo so shall put up pics in another thread once completed so you'll be able to see it there.

Phil
  • Does anyone know what these brackets are called (with the orange arrow pointing to it) and where I may find some (other than the dealers - who've had my eyes out recently ££££££ :( with a few other parts I've ordered). When I've removed my stereo I'm missing these brackets... 

• If you can't get them I wouldn't have thought it a big deal to buy some flat steel and fabricate brackets to do similar job.
  • Thanks. Been trying to work this out all day. Will try again tomorrow and let you know how I get on!
  • Peter Grice on Facebook, an australian living in Japan and sources cubes for import to australia but can source allsorts from breakers over there and could probably drop some in the post.